onsdag 18. mars 2009

The fat and the retarded

And just when I thought Rwanda had offered all it had of personal "offenses", I got another laugh today.

Being fat in Africa is a positive thing, it shows that you have money, and that you don't have AIDS. Even though it is a bit hard, with my western mind of fitness and super skinny celebreties, to take it as a compliment when they call me fat, I have begun to get used to it and to let it pass. The pimples I have gotten on my forehead since I came here are a case of pity, and everyone asks me why I have them. I don't really know, and I just tell them that I don't have any in Norway.

Today a boy I and Hanne know so and so came by and started to talk with her about life and love. He told her that he loved her, truly did, but Hanne of course said she already had a Norwegian boyfriend. He had a bit of a struggle, and in the end changed the subject slightly.. In the beginning of our stay here we used to meet him a lot more often that what we do now, basically because we don't really have that much in common. I guess he wants us to hang out with him more, and that's probably why he managed to tell Hanne the following:

"I know that you want to go out, but you have to stay with Linn Silje," anynomous Rwandan boy (20)
"No, I CAN go out alone, but I want to be with Linn Silje," Hanne
"Well, you know, she's a bit 'blocked'," a R b (as in retarded some way or another)
"What?" Hanne
"You know, she's from the village and you are from the capital, you're smart. She's a bit blocked. I understand that you have to be with her," a R b

Hanne had to restrain a laugh, I couldn't when she told me all about it afterwards.

PS He REALLY thinks I have a mental problem. Do I?

PPS People from the villages of Rwanda are either very stupid, or are just thought to be so. I guess it's a burden we all have to bear.

PPPS This is the same boy that when we told him some one thought Hanne was my mother, excused their mistake/comforted her by saying that it is surely because she is so fat, that they could be led to think so.

Linn Silje<3

3 kommentarer:

Else Karin sa...

Eg syns jaffal IKKJE du e tebakeståande! :)

Arnhild sa...

Les og ser dere blir godt kjent med dere selv og erfarer å ikke være altfor blåøyd. Det er bra. Kos dere videre med alt dere får ta del i.

Anonym sa...

HA HA HA! Dette var hysterisk morsomt å lese. Jeg slutter meg til tidligere kommentarer, og synes ikke du er tilbakestående, kjære deg:)

Hannah